Most often, specialists use such medications as naltrexone and disulfiram to treat drug and alcohol addiction.
Naltrexone is an opiate receptor blocker, relevant in the treatment of alcohol and opiate addiction.
Naltrexone is effective for polydrug abuse (addiction to several psychotropic substances), as well as for drug and alcohol addiction. The medication is not addictive and is absolutely safe.
Disulfiram is a blocker of the effects of alcohol at the biochemical level. Due to the fact that acetaldehyde does not transfer into the state of acetic acid, it is accumulated, which leads to the appearance of nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, dizziness, hyperemia, and burning of the skin.
Initially, these drugs were prescribed in tablets, which required a long course of treatment (from six months). Despite the active psychotherapeutic work with the patient, the risk of relapse remained high. According to the results of the studies, it was concluded that in some cases, patients are not able to complete treatment, which significantly increases the likelihood of relapse (4 times).
So that patients could complete their therapeutic course, fundamentally new dosage forms have been created – implants. These are subcutaneously administered tablets, ampoules, and injections that allow the drug to gradually enter the human body. When it comes to the need for protection from alcohol, Disulfiram or its analog – Esperal is used. In the case of patients who previously had a problem with opiates (heroin, opium, methadone, oxycodone, subutex, buprenorphine), Naltrexone or Vivitrol is used in the form of an oily solution for intramuscular administration – for 1 or 2 months, or in the form of a subcutaneous implant tablet – for 3, 6, and 12 months.
Implants are sustained-release drugs. This approach allows for control of the content of the drug in the body and prevents overconcentration. With internal administration, there is always a risk of overdose or deficiency. Psychological support, in this case, is also required, as with oral medication.
It is important to understand that implants should only be used under the supervision of a narcologist. Otherwise, the effect will not be obtained; in addition, there is a high risk of serious complications.
This type of dosage form is well tolerated. Thanks to them, relapse can be prevented, especially if the patient has a multidrug addiction (amphetamines and opiates, etc.).
- pregnancy and lactation;
- bronchial asthma;
- diabetes mellitus;
- severe cardiovascular pathologies;
- oncology and other pathological processes.
MedicoMente offers a combination treatment of all types of addiction to ensure high performance.
Stages of implant-based treatment
To maximize the effect of medication, the therapy is carried out in stages:
- Diagnostics (instrumental and laboratory research methods) makes it possible to accurately assess the current condition of the patient and prescribe an effective treatment for a long-term result.
- Detoxification (mandatory) is carried out in the intensive care unit under the constant supervision of all vital signs. If the patient is addicted to opiates, ultra-fast detoxification is performed.
- Mandatory recovery phase after stabilization of the patient, detoxification (5 days minimum), reducing the symptoms of withdrawal syndrome (withdrawal syndrome). The patient stays in a comfortable ward. If necessary, he is prescribed massage, extracorporeal (ultraviolet and laser blood irradiation, lymphatic drainage, plasmapheresis) and other procedures.
The key task during this period is to normalize all processes in the body, the functioning of internal organs and their systems (digestive, cardiovascular, urogenital), restore the ionic and acid-base composition of the blood, saturate the body with microelements and vitamins, strengthen immunity, and normalize hormonal levels and sleep patterns.
- Use only original certified drugs – Disulfiram, Esperal, Naltrexone, Vivitrol made in the USA.
- Over the next year, the patient stays under outpatient supervision. Specialists monitor the tests, provide psychological support to the patient and people close to him (family members). If necessary, the implants are updated.
Placing implants is only part of the work we do. Our goal is to return a person to a normal full life.
For help in MedicoMente contact by phone, or leave a request on our website
Don’t turn inward! We will help you for sure!
Patient reviews on addiction treatment
Treatment of alcohol abuse with coding
Coding for alcoholism means the use of various procedures and techniques that have an effect on the central nervous system of a person, under the influence of which the patient considers any kind of alcohol as poison, and thus develops an attitude towards a sober lifestyle.
A holistic approach as the most effective treatment for sleep disorders
Sleep disorder is a general term that includes problems falling asleep, interrupted sleep, and getting up early. Insomnia is considered a disease when its symptoms cause significant discomfort to the general condition of a person since for some people even three hours of sleep may be enough.
Combination treatment as the most effective method for panic attacks
Panic attack is a neurotic disorder with such signs as anxiety attacks and unexplained fear combined with somatic symptoms.
Benefits of a comprehensive approach to the treatment of neuroses
Neurosis is a mental disorder that can be provoked by various stressful situations or trauma, as well as prolonged mental stress. It is a reversible psychogenic disease that can develop at any age, always has a cause, and is curable.