Things to know about depression
The medical term “depression” has become one of the most commonly used characteristics of human mood. Only a doctor can mark out ordinary fatigue from symptoms of depression. The task of our clinic is to diagnose and begin treatment of depression as quickly as possible, to teach the patient to control his condition and reach sustainable results.
Depression is a systemic mental disorder caused by prolonged depressed state with partial or complete loss of interest in one’s own or the surrounding life.
The most dangerous characteristics of the disease is that anyone can become a patient.
Signs and symptoms
Depression is accompanied by both mental and physiological symptoms. Its symptoms are categorized as follows:
- Emotional (depressed state, longing, apathy, loss of self-esteem and confidence, guilt, suffering, low self-esteem).
- Physiological (hyperexcitability, lethargy, fatigue, decreased sex drive, sleep disturbances, decreased/increased appetite, chronic pain, gastrointestinal dysfunction, hormonal disorders, dizziness).
- Cerebral (decrease or loss of ability to concentrate and make decisions, thoughts of death and suicide, fatalism).
- Communicative (anxiety, irritability, loss of interest in processes that give positive emotions, isolation, conflict, addiction to alcohol and psychotropic substances).
The causes of depression are usually a combination of various factors (psychological, physiological, social). An important role is played by heredity, human psychotype, stress resistance, diseases associated with the functioning of the brain, thyroid gland, blood circulation, etc.
Sometimes it can be the physiological state of the patient (tumors, stroke, menopause, dementia) and the side effects of drugs used in the treatment of diseases.
Types of depression
Depression differs by types, but has similar symptoms and signs (differ in the duration and intensity of manifestation). However, all types have their own, specialized courses of treatment.
- A depressive episode is the most common type of depression (lasts from 2 weeks to a year, a single episode is unipolar disorder). It manifests itself in the form of undue fatigability, decreased performance. If untreated, then reversion is possible.
- A recurrent depressive disorder – clinical/classic depression (lasts from several months to several years). The phase of depression alternates with a phase of the normal state. The disorder occurs in childhood/adolescence and requires treatment (risk of various pathologies).
- Dysthymia – chronic depression (lasts from several years to decades), with moderate symptoms and long phases of the disease. Risk of aggravation.
- Bipolar type I depression (manic-depressive psychosis) – phases of depression and normal state, complemented by a manic phase (overexcitation, sleep disturbances, problems with critical thinking). Dangerous with the consequences of rash and impulsive actions leading to the next phase of depression.
- Bipolar type II depression is similar to recurrent depressive disorder. The manic phase is more emotionally restrained and thus causes the illusion of healing.
- A depressive psychotic episode – psychotic/delusional depression – a state of psychosis with visual and auditory hallucinations, various types of delusions. The patient urgently needs inpatient treatment.
- Atypical depression – a type of depression (mild or bipolar) manifested by panic attacks, expressiveness, mood swings, sleep disturbances, overeating.
- Postpartum depression – a type of depression (lasts from 2 weeks or more) caused by increased physical, emotional stress on the body and hormonal factors. Dangerous with an increased risk of suicide and infanticide.
Diagnostics – a professional’s task
Depression treatment begins with visiting a qualified psychotherapist. Using various tests and screenings, our specialists diagnose the causes, stages of the disease, pathology, and offer an individual course of therapy.
Treatment options for depression
Free initial consultation – a conversation with the patient and/or his relatives. The professional identifies key problems and offers solutions: we choose a treatment regimen and discuss its timing in our center. In case any concomitant diseases or dysfunctions are identified, the treatment plan can be revised and supplemented.
Primary treatment for depression is psychotherapy (including hypnotic techniques), ibogaine therapy, pharmacological therapy. Combination treatment ensures maximum results.
Supportive therapy (outpatient stage) – active one-year follow-up. Monthly personal and remote consultations. Monitoring of the condition after complete recovery.
The treatment regimen depends on age, gender, general health, social environment, degree and type of depression.
Here are some of the activities that patients should make a habit to prevent depression and maintain the results achieved:
- Physical activity (under the supervision of a specialist);
- A balanced diet (if necessary, consult a nutritionist);
- Good rest and sleep;
- Socialization (upgrade of networks, participation in social projects);
- Psychotherapeutic support after the main course of treatment;
- Light therapy.
Depression treatment: why at the MedicoMente clinic?
The specialists of our center provide patients with painless and safe treatment for depression, from recognizing the problem to complete mental and physical recovery.
During therapy we apply our own licensed original techniques, international protocols and an individual approach.
Our clinic offers the most comfortable conditions (4+ star hotel):
- Hotel-level 1-2-3 bed spacious wards.
- Full board, and if necessary – dietary (as per doctor’s recommendations).
- Security and 24h surveillance.
- Gym, physiotherapy.
- Massages, beautician services and anti-aging treatments.
- Lounge for relaxation and communication, cable TV, Wi-Fi.
- Recreation with the use of expert-class hardware equipment (plasmapheresis, laser and ultraviolet blood irradiation, lymphatic drainage).
MedicoMente does not apply involuntary treatment. Treatment of depression is carried out in a hospital and only with the patient’s voluntary consent.
The cost of services is calculated for each patient individually according to the clinic’s price list, treatment regimen, and state at admission.
Here are some benefits of our clinic:
- 24h supervision of specialists.
- Confidentiality, security.
- Additional diagnostics and treatment of concomitant diseases.
- A large medical staff (with over 10 years of experience and international internship).
- Modern equipment meeting the criteria of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.
- Location (30-40 minutes drive from the center of Kyiv).
- Transfer from the railway station and airports in Kyiv.
We support you in your pursuit of result – recovery of health, personality and zest for life!
Learn more about the therapy program from a free consultation by phone + 38095-550-85-25!
You are not alone! We are ready to help you feel the joy of real life, life in the moment. Contact us!
Patient reviews on addiction treatment
Alcohol addiction treatment methods
Treatment of alcohol addiction is effective when provided comprehensively. The comprehensive program includes psychological motivation, detoxification, complete laboratory and diagnostic examination of organs and systems, stabilization and restoration of body functions, drug and physiotherapy recovery, supportive therapy, adaptation and socialization of the patient.
VIP service in the treatment of drug addiction, alcoholism, gambling addiction and other addictions in the clinic “MedicoMente” (Kiev)
Treatment of alcohol and drug addiction in any circumstances requires a special approach and attention. Our clinic provides high-quality treatment and use an individual approach to patients, without exception. However, our clients may also enjoy exclusive services.
Inpatient alcohol addiction treatment
Alcoholism (uncontrollable addiction to alcohol-containing drinks), like any addiction, is most effectively treated in a hospital. Narcologists of MedicoMente, using the knowledge of modern techniques, diagnostics, and round-the-clock monitoring, can provide real and stable results in a hospital setting.
Treatment of beer alcoholism
The history of drinking beer has long and tangled roots. The low alcohol content of beer gives an imaginary sense of security, and obtrusive advertising, price, and culture of drinking this drink (meetings over a bottle of “beer”, picnics, watching TV programs) aggravate the problem, driving a person to beer…