Treatment of alcohol addiction is effective when provided comprehensively. The comprehensive program includes psychological motivation, detoxification, complete laboratory and diagnostic examination of organs and systems, stabilization and restoration of body functions, drug and physiotherapy recovery, supportive therapy, adaptation and socialization of the patient.
To make the treatment of addiction as easy as possible and exclude relapses, it should proceed in a hospital. The doctors of MedicoMente treat patients with alcohol addiction as comfortable and safe as possible; modern methods of treatment, the experience of medical personnel, and round-the-clock monitoring will help to cope with such a delicate problem and get rid of addiction.
Alcohol addiction treatment methods:
- Detoxification – cleansing the body of alcohol and related toxins, getting rid of acute conditions, stabilizing the body, helping and preventing the development of withdrawal symptoms.
- Psychotherapy – psychiatric, psychotherapeutic support at all stages of alcoholism treatment (psychocorrection, classical methods, hypnosis, including pharmacological).
- Medication (ibogaine therapy, aversive therapy, implants);
- Instrumental therapy – recovery of the body with the help of modern specialized medical and physiotherapeutic equipment.
- Additional therapy – treatment of concomitant diseases, physiotherapy, various types of massage, therapeutic exercises etc.
Let’s consider the main methods.
Detoxification in the treatment of alcoholism
Detoxification plays an important role in the most rapid cleansing and the beginning of recovery processes in the body.
The clinic effectively uses the following techniques:
Mitigation of acute alcohol disorders:
- Infusion therapy with the mandatory introduction of anticonvulsant, anti-anxiety, sedative, sleep-inducing, and symptomatic agents, is carried out to reduce anxiety;
- To eliminate the consequences of dehydration, drugs are prescribed that enrich the body with magnesium, potassium, liquid, and other microelements;
- To restore vitamin balance and normalize sleep, vitamins are prescribed;
- To restore and protect liver function, hepatoprotectors are prescribed;
- Neurometabolic therapy – prevention and treatment of encephalopathy, concomitant pathologies.
Combination detoxification is performed with the use of antipsychotics, antispasmodics, anticonvulsants, sedatives, painkillers, and psychotropic drugs (in a small dosage), considering the patient’s condition, the presence of concomitant diseases, and the degree of damage to internal organs.
Psychotherapy is the most important method of alcohol addiction treatment. It is a starting point for the effective treatment. The first free initial consultation gives the patient internal motivation, reveals important factors and internal problems of addiction.
A psychotherapist assists the patient from the first visit until the end of the therapy. At all stages of treatment, tasks are set and solved related to the analysis of the causes of alcohol addiction, a return to a sober life, support in ending the result.
Psychological support is also provided to the patient’s family, close relatives and friends.
The doctor selects the individual psychotherapeutic method to ensure the most effective result.
- classical technique;
- hypnosis (including pharmacological);
- cognitive behavioral therapy;
- emotional imagery therapy;
- relaxing techniques.
Working with a psychotherapist is just as important as detoxification and physical recovery. Drugs are not always enough to ensure the desired effect without psychological help. Psychotherapy makes it easier for a person to get rid of alcohol addiction and fix the result.
After the end of the main course of therapy, psychological support of the patient, prevention of relapses, monitoring of consciousness, adaptation of the patient to a sober lifestyle, and family sessions are conducted.
The patients are prescribed psychotherapy in combination with medical gymnastics, various types of massage, physiotherapy.
Medication therapy for alcoholism
Medication programs applied:
- Ibogaine therapy – the use of a natural alkaloid to “reboot” the brain, destroy the subconscious causes of alcohol addiction, relieve withdrawal symptoms;
- Aversive therapy – helps developing aversion to alcohol at the subconscious level due to the formation of a negative reflex to taste, smell, and alcohol-containing products in general. Often, drugs based on disulfiram, esperal, which cause alcohol intolerance at the physical level, are used for treatment. Treatment is carried out only under the supervision of a physician to prevent possible complications to exclude all contraindications.
- Implants – the use of prolonged action of disulfiram or esperal (analog) drugs – blockers of the effects of alcohol at the biochemical level (cause a response to alcohol in the form of nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, dizziness, flushing and burning of the skin, and other somatic symptoms). Treatment is carried out only under the supervision of a doctor to avoid complications, as there are contraindications.
The restoration of the body with the help of modern equipment is carried out using extracorporeal methods:
- plasmapheresis (microfiltration and partial removal of plasma containing toxins, allergens, residues of medical and narcotic substances),
- hemosorption (extrarenal cleansing of blood from toxins using sorbents),
- laser and ultraviolet blood irradiation,
- electro-neuro-craniostimulation and electro-neuro modulation,
- lymphatic drainage and pressure therapy.
All prescribed methods and procedures are carried out by experienced doctors. The patient is under round-the-clock medical supervision.
Monitoring continues after discharge too. During the year, if necessary, and longer, the health status is monitored, support and assistance is provided to overcome the arising difficulties.
Patient reviews on the treatment of alcoholism
Treatment of alcohol abuse with coding
Coding for alcoholism means the use of various procedures and techniques that have an effect on the central nervous system of a person, under the influence of which the patient considers any kind of alcohol as poison, and thus develops an attitude towards a sober lifestyle.
A holistic approach as the most effective treatment for sleep disorders
Sleep disorder is a general term that includes problems falling asleep, interrupted sleep, and getting up early. Insomnia is considered a disease when its symptoms cause significant discomfort to the general condition of a person since for some people even three hours of sleep may be enough.
Combination treatment as the most effective method for panic attacks
Panic attack is a neurotic disorder with such signs as anxiety attacks and unexplained fear combined with somatic symptoms.
Benefits of a comprehensive approach to the treatment of neuroses
Neurosis is a mental disorder that can be provoked by various stressful situations or trauma, as well as prolonged mental stress. It is a reversible psychogenic disease that can develop at any age, always has a cause, and is curable.